Monday, July 28, 2014

Take the Long Way Home




I hate traffic.  Bold statement, I know, but I really hate it.  Being slowed down by others when I am trying
to get somewhere brings out the worst in me.  But I don’t think I hate it for the same reasons as other people.  I understand, and I can deal with, delays because of construction or accidents.  Don’t get me wrong, I still hate them, but at least there is a reason that there is a delay.  What drives me absolutely insane is driving behind people who act like they either have no were to go, or they have no idea how to operate their vehicles.  I regularly get behind people who are driving at least 10 miles per hour under the speed limit.  It happens to me at least a couple of times a week and usually more.  I’m not just talking about out on the freeway either.  I am constantly behind people who are going 25 in 35 or 45 mph zones.  Why is this?  The worst case scenario is when people drive like this in moderate to heavy traffic.  I have had my usual 30 minute commute extended to 45 minutes just because of one or two people who decided that they don’t care about the world around them.  I know, 15 minutes extra is pretty minor but it still sucks.  I’m all for safety, being cautious and driving according to conditions, but that’s not what’s going on here.   One major issue is obviously texting.  Just stop doing it people.  It’s so damn common and it’s way more (yes more) dangerous than drunk driving.  I have no idea why states are so hesitant to make it a primary offense.  I really believe that another issue is people’s fear of driving.  More and more young people don’t care about driving and see it as an inconvenience.  I see 20-something year old men driving like they are terrified.  It’s better than having them drive 100 mph but come on man!  Lastly, and most blood boiling-ly, is those who are just
meandering and paying no attention to the world around them.  I recently was at a stop light with two left turn lanes, me in the left one behind another care and the right one open.  I needed to make another left shortly after the intersection so that’s the lane I picked instead of having to cross traffic again if I had chosen the right lane.  The light turned green and the guy in front of me sat there for a second and then slowly began to idle into the intersection.  As he slowly started rolling, the light turned yellow.  So, because I didn’t wan to block the intersection waiting for this idiot to go, I went into the right, left turn lane, and passed him and was able to get back into the left, left turn lane, before getting all of the way through the intersection.  Please people, drive your cars!  You should never be able to pass someone during a turn before you clear the intersection. I know, bitching about stupid people will never do anything good for anyone.  But my other huge problem can be solved with a little innovation and investment and it would be great for everyone.  The stoplights we are using are horribly outdated and cause way more traffic issues than they help.  Watch what happens while you wait at stop lights.  How often are no cars moving in any direction?  How often is there a green light ahead, while there is no traffic flowing through it with cars waiting at a red light on the other side?  There is a particularly busy street that I frequently drive on that has some serious traffic management issues that are mainly caused by stop lights.  I will see traffic flow towards a green light with no cars going through it, only for that light to turn red just as the traffic flow is reaching it.  Traffic gets backed up for blocks and there is open road ahead.  Why does this still have to happen?  We have the technology, we can make it better.  Think about the success that companies like Google are having with self driving cars.  Those cars use a variety of sensors to determine what is happening around them, and what actions are required.  We need to equip our stoplights with some of this technology.  Traffic signals could pick up traffic flows allowing cars to pass freely when appropriate.  We could do away with the light cycles that last a specific amount of time and have lights that change as needed.  Signals could communicate with each other so flows can be predicted before they approach.  I don’t know who makes stoplights but I wish Google would get into the game.  Please someone, make our lives better!  As for idiots who don’t drive their cars, I came up with my own solution.  Take mostly back roads that have very minimal traffic.  The route is longer, but there are fewer cars on the road and fewer stoplights.  Guess what, it takes me about the same amount of time to get home and I’m in a much better mood when I get there.  But don't even get me started about the lack of turn signals being used...

No comments:

Post a Comment